Sunday, August 3, 2008

Yoghurt & Honey Panna Cotta - Numero Dos



I made my second attempt at Greek Yogurt and Honey Panna Cotta this afternoon. I've been attempting to convert a recipe I found over on A Spoonful of Sugar and have been having a minimal amount of success. Needless to say, my versions are about three billion times less photogenic than hers. Blah.

The first time I simply used 4 grams of powdered gelatin, equal in weight to the amount of leaf gelatin used by the pretty lady over there. Unfortunately, 4 grams of gelatin a solid panna cotta doth not make. I altered the recipe to use 5 grams and vowed to work on it again later.

Today I upped the ante to a whole packet of gelatin, 7 grams worth. I also separated the mixture into 4 ramekins instead of two, dropped all the sugar and increased the honey, and substituted skim milk for the heavy cream. It was decidedly different. Even though there was more honey in this version it was less detectable in the flavor profile. The amount of gelatin set it into an almost Jell-O type state, a little too solid in my opinion.

This recipe is going to take a lot more fiddling with, but if you're interested in a super low fat panna cotta recipe I'd highly recommend trying this out. Part tres to follow with, hopefully, the final creation.

P.S. I was going to poach my peaches in a white wine syrup like the original creator did, but after blanching the peaches to remove the skins I tasted one...no way was I going to cover up all that amazing organic, locally grown flavor with a syrup. I haven't had peaches that tasted that good in years. Possibly a decade. And I'm young. A decade is still a lot to me. Even Husband proclaimed their yumminess and he's a guy that I could spend 8 hours in the kitchen whipping up some amazing creation and he'd evaluate it with, 'Eh. Pretty good.' Booger.



Low Fat Yoghurt Panna Cotta

1/2 cup fat free milk
4 T honey
1 packet powdered gelatin
1 2/3 cup plain yoghurt

1. In a shallow bowl pour the gelatin over the milk. Meanwhile in a saucepan heat the honey over low. Let the milk and gelatin mixture set for about 5 minutes.

2. Add the milk to the honey and allow to warm to a point where everything is smooth and dissolved.

3. In a separate bowl combine the honey-milk mixture and the yoghurt, mixing until thoroughly combined. Pour into oiled ramekins, cover and chill overnight.