Sunday, August 3, 2008

Kalamansi Curd



I've had the Kalamansi Tree for about a week now. I chose a tree at the market that had fruit already completely ripened with lots of fruit ready to ripen within the coming weeks. This has enabled me to keep myself pretty happily in citrus curd. This is a good thing, because ever since the Strawberry Tart I've developed an addiction to the stuff. I've always had a propensity for sour things. I'm assuming that's because of my natural dislike of most sweets.



Whatever the reason, kalamansi make some awesome curd. It takes about 15-20 fruit to equal the 100 ml of juice needed, but it's so incredibly worth it.



Kalamansi Curd
Makes about 8 oz.

4 egg yolks
125 g sugar (1/2 cup + 2 T)
100 ml kalamansi juice (3 oz/1/3 cup +2 T)
4 T butter, softened

1. In saucepan beat yolks and sugar until well combined. Add rest of ingredients and mix well over med-low heat.

2. Stir constantly over low heat until thickened, about 20 minutes. DO NOT allow to boil, this will curdle the mixture.

3. Pour into cool dish to stop cooking.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice use for calamansi. I had no idea that it was this easy to make a curd. I've never tried making it before.

Sweet Bird said...

jude- I've read so many recipes detailing extensive instructions, but this recipe has worked for me every time. It's kind of a pain standing there stirring constantly for 20 minutes, but it works like a charm. And tastes amazing!