Monday, August 11, 2008

Couscous with Tomatoes and Onions



As far as grains go I generally prefer couscous. Rice is good, barley's nice, but I'd much rather sit down and eat a nice big bowl of couscous. My MiL sent an awesome little package o' goodies a while ago that included a box of couscous. I decided that tonight, it was time to devour the rest of it. Deeelish.



Couscous with Tomatoes and Onions

Makes 3 cups

1 tablespoon butter
2 small tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/4 cups chicken stock
1 cup couscous

1. In a saucepan with lid melt the butter. Cook the onion just until it begins t soften and add garlic. When the garlic is fragrant add the tomato, and cook until it gets all melty and soft. About 5 minutes.

2. Add chicken stock, bring to a boil. Add couscous. Cover with lid, remove from heat, let rest 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.

8 comments:

cookiecrumb said...

That looks really nice...
(Psst, but couscous is not a genuine grain; it's a pasta.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couscous

Have you tried quinoa? It's fun and cute.

Sweet Bird said...

Oh yes, Husband and I love quinoa. Especially cooked as a risotto, yum! When I was referring to couscous as a grain, I was breaking it down into brass tacks, it is made from a grain, (semolina/wheat flour). Pasta, made from flour, is also produced from grains(indirectly). It's a very roundabout way of thinking about it, but I tend to look at things very differently from most people. But, yes, you're right. Couscous is technically a pasta.

cookiecrumb said...

Heh. Yeah, my husband quibbled with me when I told him about the comment I'd left...
You're right, too.
:)

Sweet Bird said...

Meh, how can one opinionated person not appreciate another opinionated person?

Candyce P. said...

hi there! i followed your link from foodbuzz.. and what a lovely site you have! beautiful photographs and delicious food... definitely adding it to my daily stops! :)

p.s. are these little bowls from c&b?

Joe Horn said...

Awesome, the simple things are so good. Great pictures too!

Joe @ mycookingquest

Sweet Bird said...

candyce - I'm glad you found me on FoodBuzz. It's quite the site, eh? And yes, they are from Crate $ Barrel. I'm kind of an addict...

Joe - Thanks for the kind words!

Anonymous said...

I am totally making this tonight, I'm so excited!!! I've had a box of couscous sitting around and I had no idea what to do with it (I've never tried it before) and I saw your recipe the other day and I can't wait to try it!! Thank you!