Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Chinese Broccoli Beef



Pretty much every time we ate out when I was a kid it was for Chinese food. Whether it was a special occasion or just running into town for take-out, more often than not it was for Chinese. We'd mostly go to my dad's favorite restaurant, China Garden. It eventually closed and we switched to The Capitol Palace, a cute restaurant with a great view of the Puget Sound. There's also quite the funny story of my uncle mistaking my aunt's request for a refill of her teacup and using it as a fingerbowl. I think chow mein almost came out of my nose after seeing that one.

Most times I eat Chinese these days I still think of eating out with my family and Dad's affinity for Chinese cuisine. I attempted to recreate one of the dishes we'd commonly get this evening and I'm happy to say it was a great success. It was nearly a perfect recreation of what we'd get in the restaurants. I'm sure this is in no way an 'authentic' Chinese dish, but you know what? It's friggin' tasty.

Broccoli Beef

1 lb flank steak, sliced into bite size pieces
2 broccoli crowns, cut into florets
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 inch piece ginger root, minced
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Marinade
Sauce

Marinade

1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup dry sherry
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch

Mix all ingredients together in a sealable bag or bowl with the flank steak and toss well until all meat is coated. Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes

Sauce

2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon corn starch
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil

Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.

In a large skillet or wok heat vegetable oil until hot, but not smoking. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for about 15-20 seconds. Do not allow to brown. Add marinated flank steak to the hot oil, watch for spatter, and cook until nearly done. Add the broccoli and cook until heated through but still crisp. Create a well in the center of the pan and pour in the sauce. Allow to set for about 5 seconds to thicken and then stir, gradually coating all the meat and broccoli with the thickened sauce. Serve over steamed white/brown rice.

5 comments:

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

Looking over the ingredient list, looks authentic enough to me! Looks yummy too, by the way.

Maria said...

Oh how cruel! Please stop posting these delicous food photos! I'm sitting here in my office and getting hungrier and hungrier... :D
Really: Delicious!

Sweet Bird said...

js - That's all the reassurance I need then, thank you!

maria - eat! eat! I'm like everyone's grandma, always trying to feed people.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Mmm. I love all things stir-fried, but what I DON'T love is all the freakin' vegetables that all have to be chopped. The prep takes for-damn-ever. This one doesn't look too painful. I would make it, except it doesn't use tomatoes. And we didn't grow any broccoli this year. Maybe next year.

Zoomie said...

Beautiful presentation, too - love those soft blue square plates!