Saturday, August 16, 2008

Margherita-ville


Husband and I love pizza. Wait, let me correct that. Husband and I looooooove pizza. A lot. We could probably eat it like everyday. That's how incredible healthy we are. Right...

As much as we like pizza, I've never made my own dough. Or at least not for a very long time. I'm kind of scared of yeast doughs. I can't help it, they're just intimidating. I've successfully made two, count 'em two, loaves of bread in my entire life. Not a great track record if you knew how many times I've attempted it. And I'm not willing to publicly shame myself by telling. But, my patience has grown over the years, and with it my desire to make all sorts of yeast breads.

This was a decent attempt at Neapolitan pizza dough if I do say so myself. Neapolitan dough is my favorite, it's crispy and crunchy, but not cracker thin like Roman style dough. It's also not fat and doughy like most American style pizzas (Or most Americans). The only thing that would've made this easier would be if I owned a pizza peel. Believe me, not a lot of fun trying to move it from cutting board to pizza stone without one. There was lots of cursing. Lots.



Pizza - In the style of Naples

Makes two twelve inch rounds

1 pkg. (2 1/4 tsp.) dry active yeast
3/4 cup warm water (110 F)
1/4 cup cool water
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
pinch sea salt

1. In a mixing bowl dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Let sit for 5 minutes. Add the cool water, oil, and salt.

2. Add flour 1/2 cup at a time, blending until smooth after each addition. Dust clean surface with at least 1/2 cup flour and knead dough 5-10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.

3. Coat a bowl with oil, place the dough ball inside and roll to coat in oil. Cover bowl with saran wrap and then a towel and set in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

Heat oven to 500 F, place stoneware baking sheet or pizza stone in oven to preheat, at least 30 minutes.

4. Punch down dough and divide into two balls. Let rest 10 minutes. Pat out dough balls on a floured surface to twelve inches round. Let rest 15 minutes. Pat down, and top with sauce and toppings. (Husband and I like Margherita: Mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil)

5. Place pizza directly on pizza stone, it should be hot enough to sizzle immediately upon contact. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is dark brown in spots.

2 comments:

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

Beautiful pizza! Seriously, I could eat pizza everyday too. The only reason why I don't is because the delivery (corporate) pizzas around here suck.

Sweet Bird said...

js- I agree, there are few corporate pies I enjoy.