Saturday, August 9, 2008

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chunk-Butterscotch Cookies



Who wants a cookie? I do! I do! So, I made some. I attempted chocolate chip cookies a few weeks ago, and though they turned out well, they had the same problem I have with a lot of baked goods. They weren't like Mom's. I'm not a huge baker, or really even a small baker. The whole concept of measuring things tends to be a little out of my grasp. I'm getting better, especially with the purchase of a digital scale, but I've got a loooong ways to go. My failure at recreating Mom's famous chocolate chip cookies provided enough incentive to finally ask her for the recipe. Because Mom's cookies are the best. I don't mean "Whooo! I'm gracing the front page of the NY Times with my salt sprinkled gourmet chocolate chip cookies!" I mean Mom would make 6-12 dozen of these babies and they'd be gone in a couple of days. Friends would come over to the house and sneak out gallon size baggies of them. Oh yeah. They were like contraband. Hey, that's a good name. Contraband Cookies.

I'm going to have to bring that up to Mom.

I did change them a bit after getting the recipe. But, only to the extent of using white whole wheat flour where she used all-purpose, and substituting half butterscotch chips for some of the chocolate. Deelish.




Whole Wheat Chocolate Chunk-Butterscotch Cookies

Makes about 18 cookies

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup white whoel wheat flour(I like King Arthur's)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup chocolate chunks
1/2 cup butterscotch chips

1. Cream together shortening, sugars, egg, and vanilla. Sift in the flour, salt, and baking soda. Mix well. Add chocolate chunks and butterscotch chips, mix well.

2. Bake at 375 F for 10-12 minutes. Do NOT overcook. Let rest for at least two minutes. Remove to parchment paper (or brown paper bag)and allow to set for an additional 2 minutes.

I highly recommend a stoneware baking sheet for these cookies. And all cookies. Don't use metal. It's soooo 20th century. Also, when you pull them out of the oven they will still look all doughy and not quite finished. Stop being OCD and just take them out. As the cool they firm up and get all chewy and delicious. And if you like crunchy cookies? Well, you're weird.

9 comments:

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

Whole wheat cookies! I suppose they're healthier right? Would it still be "healthy" if one eats a dozen of these at a time? ;)

Jennifer said...

Thanks for stopping by! My husband would love those cookies, and I saw your Palm Sugar Custards on either Foodgawker or the other famous site and thought they looked beautiful!

Sweet Bird said...

js - I was thinking the exact same thing...

cheryl - thanks!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Did you make 6-12 dozen of these? And if so, would you send me a couple of dozen, please? I meant to make cookies on Friday and even went so far as to announce this intention to my husband. Then I . . . got lazy and didn't. This didn't go over well when he got home, looking for cookies only to be disappointed. So if you'd send me some of yours, I might be able to placate him. Without having to do any actual work myself, which is how I like it.

Sweet Bird said...

Kristin - oh man have I been guilty of that soooo many times. I can't help it, I feel industrious about mid morning, start spouting off all these cool things I'm going to do...and then I get lazy about mid-afternoon. Sorry about that Key Lime Pie, Husband...

Zoomie said...

These look great! I'm drooling on my keyboard!

test it comm said...

Those cookies look good!

One Bird said...

I can't believe you tried to make mom's cookies healthy! You so missed the point! =) J/K sis. These look great... much better than some baking adventures you've had. By the way I hate your awesome pictures... =P

Sweet Bird said...

zoomie - watch those keys!

kevin - thanks!

onebird - hey, i can do what i want!