Sunday, August 3, 2008

Yoghurt Scones


When I woke up this lame, foggy Sunday morning with the intent of baking it wasn't the 'Joy of Baking' on my mind. It was an attempt to cleverly disguise my desire to spoon heaps and heaps of kalamansi curd into my mouth. I figured Husband would probably look at me funny if I ate a whole jar of it with simply a spoon to accompany, and while his strange looks wouldn't prevent me from doing so alone, it'd also be pretty unhealthy. And those ten pounds aren't going to work themselves off. So, I decided scones would be the best approach.

When I was younger my mother made these delicious scones using yoghurt as the main binder. They were bitchin'. (At least as bitchin' as a scone can be, right?) I have absolutely no idea where this recipe is or where she found it, or even if she developed it herself. I decided to adapt a recipe I had lying around and see how it turned out. I exchanged white whole wheat flour for all-purpose, reduced the sugar, and substituted plain yoghurt as the binder. They turned out fabulously. They rose perfectly, browned nicely, and were moist and delicate inside. Holler!

This helped the fact that I broke a nail while doing the dishes afterwards.




*Tangent/Rant ON*
As a person with naturally long nails, I always get irritated when people make fun of me for breaking a nail. If you do this, you're a jackass. Just so you know. The reason this aggravates me so is because whenever I break a nail, I don't get upset because 'Agh! My hands are no longer beautiful! Woe is me, chop off my fingers so I don't have to look at my hideous uneven nails!' I get upset because it HURTS. Like a son of a bitch. Whenever all that tender flesh protected by the nail gets exposed it kills. I'm not asking for your sympathy. I keep my nails long out of choice. Just please refrain from being a douche bag and mocking a person when they say they broke a nail. Or I'm going to mock you next time you stub your toes. Jerk.
*Tangent/Rant OFF*

The two ended up pairing beautifully. I can see many a happy Sunday morning going on with the help of some scones and curd.


Yoghurt Scones

Makes 8 Wedge Scones

2 cups white whole wheat flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 cup butter + 1 T melted
1 egg
1/2 cup yoghurt, (flavored if you desire)

Preheat Oven to 400 F

1. Sift together dry ingredients. Cut in butter until uniformly small crumbs.

2. In a small bowl beat the egg. Combine with melted butter and yoghurt. Add to dry mixture. Use a wooden spoon or your hands to combine the dough.

3.Once it comes together knead 8-10 times in your hands or in the bowl. Shape into an 8 in. round. Cut into 8 wedges. Place on ungreased baking sheet/parchment paper/Silpat.



4. Bake for 15 minutes.




6. Top with shameful amounts of citrus curd.

4 comments:

Kristin @ Going Country said...

The scones look delish, but do not ever be ashamed of using the spoon.

TS of eatingclub vancouver said...

Nice rant. ;D

If I try to gorw my nails, they just break off or look dirty. Haha. Also, I guess this is my little weirdness, but I quite like the act of clipping nails. Very relaxing. =)

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

The scones look yummy and I am starting to feel quite envious of all the kalamansi fun. ;)

Sweet Bird said...

Kristin - I broke down and just ate it with a spoon the last few days. It's just so damn good!

ts - I'm like that with plucking my eyebrows...I don't know why but it's very therapeutic. I also read somewhere that Jennifer Aniston does the same thing- that kinda makes me feel less lame about it.

js - I'm telling ya, it's amazing!