Sunday, August 31, 2008

Cheese Grits



Growing up in the Pacific Northwest grits isn't exactly something you see on menus very often - if at all. In fact, I only had them for the first time a couple years ago when traveling with husband back East to see his family. I have to admit, they're pretty tasty. The only thing I'd ever had that was similar was Cream of Rice cereal, but Cream of Rice was usually dressed with sweets - cinnamon, raisins, honey, etc. Grits on the other hand are usually treated as a savory dish to accompany the main meal. They came into popularity during The Depression because they're inexpensive, versatile, and filling. Add that they're healthy to boot and you've got a pretty solid deal. Of course, they're not nearly so healthy by the time I'm done with them...

I just had grits with cheese for the first time yesterday. It inspired me to make my own and I'm very pleased with how they turned out. I'll be posting my inspiration later, along with an in depth look at Slow Food Nation, but for now, enjoy these cheesy grits and collard greens.



Cheese Grits

2 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup quick cooking grits
1 tablespoon butter
8 oz cheddar cheese, grated
salt and pepper

In a medium saucepan heat the stock, milk, and cream to boil, stirring occasionally. Stir in the grits slowly and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste and cover with lid. Allow grits to cook, covered, for about 6-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until thickened. Turn off the heat but leave the pan on the burner. Stir in the grated cheese to melt. Mix well. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Mmmm, grits. My grandmother still lives in New Orleans, and I love going to the stores there and seeing the incredible variety of grits. Even at a place like Walgreens, there will be four whole shelves of grits in every conceivable flavor and consistency. Up here in Yankee-land, my only choices are instant or old-fashioned. But cheese is a must.

cookiecrumb said...

ohgodohgodohgod,
I usually just serve my collards with rice.
OMG.