Monday, August 4, 2008

Balsamic Marinated Steaks


My foray into the world of beefiness continues with balsamic vinegar marinated steaks. They were an interesting diversion from the Salty Steaks we had last week. My tastes generally run to salty and tangy (salt and vinegar chips are devoured instantaneously in my house) so I was curious which recipe I would like more. The balsamic added a pleasant piquancy to the steak, but I have to say I still like those salt crusted steaks better. Like I've said before, I'm a creature of habit.

I would highly recommend trying these though. Be sure to marinade for at least the 30 minutes indicated, if not closer to 45. It takes a while for the flavors to really permeate the flesh.



Balsamic Marinated Steaks

4 Steaks
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons shredded basil
1 teaspoon freshly crushed black pepper
1 clove garlic, smashed
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Marinade steaks for at least 30 minutes, cook as desired, served well over a bed of leafy greens.

9 comments:

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

I think I would prefer the salt-crusted as well, although I wouldn't refuse these balsamic-marinated steaks either. It looks perfectly cooked!

One Bird said...

I am finally on this blogging thing. I hate that your pictures look so awesome... Love you sis!

Zoomie said...

Steak looks great, but do you mean 30 minutes or 30 seconds of marinating - I assume the former but your last line says 30 seconds...

Sweet Bird said...

Fixed! That's what I get for multitasking while blogging...

Sweet Bird said...

Manda - Well I hate that you live somewhere that actually gets hotter than 70 degrees. So there. :-p

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

That looks great - Cooked to perfection - I have never used fresh basil for steaks what a great idea.

food makes me happy said...

Nice recipe!
Simple and delicious,
Was just having a hard time trying to figure out what to do with my balsamic vinegar!

Sweet Bird said...

Cathy - Thanks! I hope you try out the fresh basil, it's pretty friggin' awesome.

Cindy - Simple and Delicious, that should be my motto. Try out some of that balsamic with some sliced tomatoes, mozzarella, and fresh basil leaves. Just drizzle with a little olive oil and balsamic and go nuts. Husband LOVES it.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog and excellent photos. What camera do you use if you don't mind me asking.

As for Balsamic on steaks, I love balsamic coupled with a steak.

In fact, I humbly suggest you might like to try my sauce on the next one you make.

http://themerlinmenu.blogspot.com/2008/06/recipe-balsamic-steak-sauce.html

Ron