Sunday, August 17, 2008

Faux - Buttermilk Pancakes


As I've mentioned before, I'm not a huge fan of great big fluffy pancakes. I prefer them to be pretty thin, and preferably, slathered with peanut butter and drizzled with pure maple syrup. I found a recipe over on Foodie With Family for buttermilk pancakes that seemed like it might fit the ticket. I definitely had to halve the recipe, there's no way Husband and I could finish that many pancakes. I also don't usually keep buttermilk in the house, and I can't bring myself to buy it for the two recipes I make a year that require it, so I usually just cheat and add a tablespoon of white vinegar per each cup of milk.

Easy peasy.

To make fake buttermilk simply measure 1 tablespoon of white vinegar into a 1 cup measuring cup. Fill the rest of the way with milk and allow to set for ten minutes or so. Give it a little stir and you're good to go.

All in all these were pretty fab as pancakes go. Thin but light, and held up to warming in the oven while I finished the batter.

Buttermilk Pancakes

Makes about 7 large pancakes

2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs
4 tablespoons butter, melted
2 cups + 2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt


1. Combine all ingredients until smooth. I really liked the tip over on Foodie with Family to put all the ingredients in a big pitcher and then blend with an immersion blender. So easy to mix and so easy to pour directly into the pan.

2. Heat skillet until hot and drizzle with oil (or even better melt some butter) and cook pancakes till bubbles form holes in the rim of the cake. Flip, allow to cook until side is browned, about 1-2 minutes. Repeat.

3 comments:

Zoomie said...

I didn't know about the buttermilk trick and I'm like you - can't bring myself to buy it and have the rest go bad - so I'm tickled! Thanks for that and the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm so glad you liked the flapjacks. We're anti-puffy pancakes, here, too. Except, of course, for when we MAKE puff pancakes.

Thanks for visiting us and trying out the recipe!

Sweet Bird said...

Zoomie- works like a charm, every time!

Rebecca - They were amazing!