Friday, July 11, 2008

Strawberry-Rhubarb Jam


Don't you just love those projects where as you're setting everything up, the only thing running through your head is "Damn, I really hope I don't screw this up"? That's pretty much how the whole jam thing went in my head. But, it did end up going pretty well. Next time I'll be a little more careful with the stirring though, I realized afterwards I had little balls of gelatinous goo in my hair.


So awesome...

I was originally just going to use the recipe Kevin has over on Closet Cooking but I was having second thoughts about all that sugar. I am trying my best to eat healthier after gaining 25 lbs. since Husband came home from the sandbox. (I think quitting my job, getting married, and quitting smoking might have all played a part in that too.) So the thought of adding nearly three times as much sugar as fruit to the jam didn't sit quit right. That and I'm not really a 'sweets' kind of person, even fruit is too sweet for me sometimes.

My solution was to use a no sugar needed pectin, and I think I succeeded pretty well. Unless you find out that in 6 months I've died from botulism from my ass backwards attempt at canning...then it didn't go so well after all.

Strawberry-Rhubarb Jam

Makes about 2 pints

2 1/2 cups rhubarb, chopped
2 1/2 cups strawberries, hulled and chopped
1 cup water
2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1.75 oz. box of no sugar needed pectin

1. Combine fruit, water, sugar, lemon juice, and pectin in a 6-8 quart pot.

2. Heat over medium until sugar is dissolved.

3. Use immersion blender to partially puree the fruit, about half depending on how chunky you want your jam.

4. Heat to a rolling boil that does not die down when stirred

5. Boil hard for three minutes, stirring constantly.

6. Remove from heat, ladle into sterilized jars.

7. Process(can) as desired in boiling water, pressure canner, freeze, or eat like 2 pints of strawberry-rhubarb jam in the next month.

No comments: