Monday, July 7, 2008

Cherry Cobbler

Because his stuff always looks so damn delicious, I absolutely had to try out Drew Kime's super easy recipe for cobbler over on How To Cook Like Your Grandmother. And, just like I thought it would be, it was completely delicious.

I used cherries, because that's what I had on hand, and they were amazing. I'm going to pick up some kind of stone fruit at the farmer's market tomorrow and I can't wait to try those out in this recipe. I'm not going to post it here, but feel free to try out that link up top to get the original. And do make this, it's so easy and so worth it.



I was a little worried when I first opened the oven, the butter had turned it such a dark golden brown I almost thought I burnt it for a quick moment!




This shot totally doesn't do it justice, the sun was blocked out by all the smoke from the Big Sur Fires at this point. So, you get my crappy recessed lighting in the kitchen, enjoy!

4 comments:

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

I'm pretty sure that's what cherries are supposed to look like. The neon red we see in canned pie filling has just got to be fake.

I'm glad it worked for you.

Anonymous said...

I can still feel and taste the cobbler right now! I just love cherries and cobblers. Cravings were hitting me hard last week for this, now I see it here....ugh! I gotta have a bite of it!

Sweet Bird said...

Drew, yeah. Sometimes I wish the real cherries would retain that beautiful crimson color, though. But, as unappealing the color at least I know what I'm eating, right?

To the lovely White on Rice Couple, I know. It's so tasty. And so easy! You should totally do it yourself. Use some of those plums you got at the market!

Patti said...

If you used sweet cherries, then that dark color is normal. Ever seen bright red cherry preserves? Tart cherries are much more red, and they get used a lot with a TON of sugar. (Homemade cherry pie in Wisconsin Dells is pretty red.) Or can use cherries with a lot of artificial gunk. Blech.

If the color is important, you could try the tart cherries with more sugar. If you do (next summer when they are in), please post! I want to see!