Friday, July 25, 2008

Shrimp Po' Boys



There's not many sandwiches I enjoy more than a tasty shrimp po' boy. Although, I'm sure any native from "Na'wlins" (gag) would call my delicious sandwich a travesty, well bully for them. It's tasty and it's a touch healthier. So there.

Traditionally the shrimp is battered and deep fried before being thrown on a french roll with onion, shredded iceberg lettuce, tomato and some kind of mayo-based dressing. In my version the shrimp are just sautéed in a bit o' butter. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the battered and deep fried version. They're deeeelicious. I'd just like to keep my arteries in the shape they're in. Clear. Just for fun I decided to use some pretty heirloom tomatoes and baby heirloom lettuces from the farmer's market. Aren't they pretty?



I keep on waiting for my baby tomatoes to ripen, but they're coming along at a snail's pace. I've only got one bitty Black Krim that's even thinking about getting ripe. I guess, according to some natives, that I should be happy I even got my plants to bear fruit. Apparently this area is notoriously crappy for growing tomatoes. That's what I get for living right next to the ocean...stupid fog.

Shrimp Po' Boys

Makes 2 sandwiches

2 French rolls
1-1 1/2 lbs. shrimp (16-25 ct at least, preferably bigger)
2 tablespoons butter
1 large or 2 small shallots, finely sliced
1/2 teaspoon dill
1/2 teaspoon creole-style seasoning (I like Tony Chachere's)

1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons ketchup
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 slices onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 oz)
1 teaspoon dill

lettuce
tomatoes
basil

1. In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, ketchup, Dijon mustard, onion, and dill. Set aside.

2. In a heavy skillet melt butter over medium heat, brown shallot. Ensure shrimp are totally drained, cook until curled and heated through.

3. Slice French rolls in half and slather with mayo dressing. Assemble sandwiches with layer of shrimp, tomatoes, basil leaves, lettuce, and top of roll.

2 comments:

Par said...

Oh that looks so yummie.
I never ate a shrimp sandwich before, love to try one.

Sweet Bird said...

ms._2be - you totally should, they're delish!