Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Broccoli Cheddar Soup


One of my guilty pleasure is broccoli cheddar soup. Too often it's adulterated with Velveeta or some other nasty ass processed cheese-style food, which is sad, because it's can be so comforting when made properly.

The other day, apparently a day when I felt like my thighs could use a bit more cushion, I decided to try making my own for the first time. This is by no means a low-fat soup. This soup kicks low-fat's ass. But piping hot with some fresh dinner rolls slathered with butter...it's like a day at the spa for my tummy.

Only fattening.

Whatev.

Broccoli Cheddar Soup


½ onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup butter
½ cup flour
3 cups chicken stock
2 cups milk
½ cup cream
12 oz. extra sharp cheddar cheese

In a 6 quart pot melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion, and cook till the onion is softened – about 4 minutes. Sift in the flour, all at once, stirring to combine. Cook the flour mixture for about 3 minutes, moving constantly to avoid burning. Pour in ½ cup chicken stock, stirring until fully incorporated, repeat with remaining stock. Pour in milk, all at once, then add broccoli. Bring to a steady simmer, stirring constantly. Be sure to not let the milk stick to the bottom of the pan. When broccoli is softened, about 15 minutes, add the cheese 2 oz at a time, allowing to melt completely before adding more. Stir in the cream, serve immediately.

3 comments:

cookiecrumb said...

That's a lot of dairy fat!
Sounds delicious, nevertheless.
I have an alternative recipe, which you would hate: Blend a box of silken tofu with some stock and use that as your base. You can still cheese it up, but.
Well. Whatev.

Sweet Bird said...

Actually that sounds delicious, I'll have to try that out. I'm all for cutting out the fat and deriving protein from healthier sources.

cookiecrumb said...

Birdie: I left you a better (but pretty lame) explanation on my blog.
xx!