Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Triple Nut Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp


Holy freakin' cow have I gotten ridiculously busy. I went from twiddling my thumbs all day long waiting for Husband to get home from work so I could bug the crap out of him, to wondering how I'm even going to get the laundry folded. My hippie ass finally got a job since moving here to California - of course I got the job the week before Fall Semester starts. Whooo...so, who's not smarter than the average bear? That would be me, folks. That would be me. But, you know what? It feels nice. I like waking up with a purpose. Although I'm seriously going to have to get some gloves, yo. Biking to work at 8 in the morning is all well and good, but when you're literally riding 10 feet away from the Pacific Ocean...it gets pretty freakin' chilly. My knuckles are chapped. Boo.

Enough about my boring ass life, onto the tasty treats! Every time I see rhubarb I get all excited. I can't help it. It's one of those foods that brings back my childhood. My mom used to grow rhubarb where we lived when I was just a little bitty one north of Bellingham, WA. Tres nostalgic.

So, when I saw some tasty rhubarb at the store I decided it was time for a strawberry rhubarb crisp. As I was pulling out ingredients I realized I had almonds, pistachios, and pecans - freakin' yum. Aaaand, in they all went.

You may now enjoy my tasty creation.



Triple Nut Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisp

1 1/2 - 2 pints strawberries, washed and hulled
4 stalks rhubarb, roughly choppped
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
2 oz. almonds
2 oz. pistachios
2 oz. pecans
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
6 tablespoons butter, melted

Preheat oven to 375 F

Put the strawberries in a sauce pan and mash them with a potato masher. Add the rhubarb, granulated sugar and water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes, remove from heat, set aside. In a small food processor (or with a knife and some elbow grease) process the nuts until they are uniformly crumbly. Combine processed nuts with the oats, flour, and brown sugar. Mix well. Pour the melted butter over the nut-oat mixture and thoroughly combine. Layer half of the nut-oat mixture in the bottom of an 8x8 or similar size baking dish. Pour the strawberry-rhubarb over the crumblies. Top with the remainder of the nut-oat mixture. Place baking dish on a rimmed baking sheet, it will probably boil over while cooking. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is crispy and golden brown.

3 comments:

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Your knuckles are chapped? That just sounds wrong.

The MiL made a strawberry-rhubarb pie on Sunday. It's all gone already. YUM.

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean by chapped knuckles. All that dry wind while you're zipping by at 5(0) miles an hour? Not good.
Any recipe that starts with triple anything catches my attention for some reason. Sounds so much better than "double."

Sweet Bird said...

Kristin - Hey, you leave me and my chapped knuckles alone! It does sounds kinda wrong, huh?

Jude - It wouldn't be so bad man, but the wind right on the coast...whooo....chilly stuff right there. Who am I kidding, you're in Chicago right? Isn't it the "Windy City" or something? You should know all about wind...