Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Omnivore's 100

So, every single person on the internet has now heard of The Omnivore's 100. It's a list developed by Andrew over at Very Good Taste. It's turned into quite the meme, and as much as I dislike them (yes, even though I did one last month) I couldn't resist trying out this one. I'm still a young'n so I doubt I'll have much on the list crossed off, but I plan on working my way through this baby in the coming years.

So, the point is to bold anything you've eaten, and strike through the items you'd refuse to try. Here we go...



1. Venison
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp
9. Borscht
10. Baba ghanoush
11. Calamari
12. Pho
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart
16. Epoisses (I hate washed rind cheeses so much)
17. Black truffle (I probably did at work back in my waitressing days, but I don't remember.)
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream (I just discovered I love pistachios at Husband's grandparent's house last year. Haven't gotten to the ice cream yet, and I don't think Spumoni should count.)
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras I would never eat foie gras. It is never de rigeur to abuse an animal.
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper (Holy Jesus I hope I never do this)
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters
29. Baklava
30. Bagna cauda (I don't like anchovies, but I'd try it once)
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi
34. Sauerkraut
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar I was like 16 and my parents had gone out of town. One of the guys had a bottle of Hennesy and some Cubans he'd bought in Canada. Rock on.
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O Oh jebus have these caused me some hangovers.
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects
43. Phaal (I think I'd die)
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more I can't even take the smell of whiskey without gagging. Another experience at 16...this one didn't go so well.
46. Fugu (I totally want to try this, but I'm afraid I might chicken out. Maybe I'll try one of those that's specially raised to be non-toxic. Their toxicity is just a product of their diet...or is that cheating?)
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut (I hate doughnuts, I think they're foul...but a fresh Krispy Kreme? Aw hell yeah.)
50. Sea urchin (Never again, yo. Never again.)
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal (This is the one thing I'm ashamed to cop to.)
56. Spaetzle (At Epcott, how cheesy is that?)
57. Dirty gin martini (At a 5 star hotel in Panama City, Panama no less.)
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine Ahh...make me want to visit my family in Canada. I friggin' love poutine.)
60. Carob chips (My mother used these instead of chocolate chips when we were kids for some reason...I think one of us had an allergy to something)
61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads (I'm not really into offal)
63. Kaolin (I'm also not really into dirt)
64. Currywurst
65. Durian (I'm scared of this stuff)
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
68. Haggis
69. Fried plantain (I've been meaning to try plantains)
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill (wtf?)
76. Baijiu or shaojiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie (So wrong. So Ashamed.)
78. Snail (I love escargot, I have since I was a child.)
79. Lapsang souchong
80. Bellini
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant (Maybe in my wildest dreams)
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare
87. Goulash
88. Flowers (I love nasturtiums and pansies the most, rose petals are also quite tasty.)
89. Horse (This shouldn't need an explanation)
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam (Makes me think of Grandma's house.)
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
100. Snake (I think so, but I can't remember)

And the items I would add if it were my list:

101. Kopi Luwak
102. Crawfish
103. Elk
104. Halibut Cheek
105. Peking Duck

2 comments:

cookiecrumb said...

You're cracking me up with these two posts!
Hee.

Hay, you would adore sweetbreads. Soft, mild, swimming in sauce. Jeesh, if you can do snails, you can do sweetbreads. Trust me.

Sweet Bird said...

Cookie - Fair enough, it's just that every time I pull the organs out of, say, a chicken...the first thing that runs through my head is not I want to put that in my mouth. I'm just sayin'...