Friday, March 27, 2009

The Pork Dubliner - or a Kerrygold Irish Cheese Review


Once again it's time for another product review compliments of Foodbuzz and Kerrygold. This time I tried the Reduced Fat Aged Cheddar and the Dubliner cheeses. I am not going to bother posting anything about the aged cheddar - my momma always said that if I didn't have anything nice to say, not to say anything at all. Or at least I think she did...

The Dubliner, on the other hand, was quite the treat. It reminded me of a cross between manchego and pecorino cheeses - quite nice for grating over a salad, or in this case, crusting a pork loin.



After trying this out, and looking at the photographs, it looks more like a chicken parmesan than I realized. The taste, however, is quite different.

I took a 5 oz. slice of pork loin, egg washed it, crusted it in finely grated Dubliner cheese, pan seared it, then set it to bake at 375 for 12 minutes with a few tablespoons of roasted red bell pepper spread and some goat cheese. It was insanely delicious.

This Dubliner cheese is surprisingly good for just about anything one would use parmesan or romano cheese, with a nice tangy little kick to it. If you're a fan of sheeps milk cheeses I bet you'll love it. It also pairs nicely with tart apples and figs. Go figure.

Try some out, I bet you'll like it.

Thanks Foodbuzz and Kerrygold for letting me try this out!

No comments: