Sunday, May 17, 2009

What do you do with a drunken sailor?


Why save the wine corks of course!

Sadly the story behind my wine-cork cork board is not nearly so interesting as straying behind a meandering, intoxicated seafarer who willy-nilly casts about the stoppers of his preferred beverage, picking up each and dusting them off before attaching them to a board.

I'm lucky enough (or boring enough compared to the above example) to have relatives that truly enjoy this beverage of the gods. If it had been just me it would've taken years to accumulate all these corks.

Regular wine-drinker or not, I'm quite pleased with my creation. I saw a wine-cork cork board in a magazine spread on a house in Northern California and fell in love. Granted, theirs was outside and about 6 feet by 9 feet, but mine will do just fine.

It was really quite simple to make. A little tedious - and painful - but simple. Depending on the thickness of the frame you have you may have to cut each of the corks in half lengthwise so that they don't stick out too far. If you're smart, you'll go through the extra labor of finding a thick frame - I didn't, and after spending about two hours cutting corks in half yesterday morning the tendinitis in my right arm is about to kill me.

But, after collecting the corks and buying the frame, all that really needs to be done is arrange them in a suitable manner and glue them there.

Easy as pie.

Well, actually easier than pie depending on the pie.

If you like puzzles you'll really enjoy fitting the corks in and out in different shapes and designs. If you're like me and would rather gouge out your own eyes with a salad fork than solve a puzzle then the highest level of difficulty in design you'll get to is likely what you see here.

I'm so damn creative.

So get to that wine-drinkin' and save your corks. Then put them on the wall in a pretty way so people will admire your craftiness and forget that you're a lush and drank that many bottles of wine.

Lush.

4 comments:

katie said...

Hahaha! Clever. I will immediately begin saving wine corks for this very reason. I should be able to begin work on my poject next week. What are the dimensions of the frame that fits the corks perfectly?

Zoomie said...

Put him in a longboat 'til he's sober. :-)

Jude said...

All of my wine corks will read "2-buck-chuck." I'm a cheapass. But if we're talking beer corks....

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Zoomie beat me to it. But don't forget, you have to do it "ear-lie in the morning."

(Why in the HELL do I know this song? And not, for instance, my husband's social security number, which would be way more useful? Irritating.)