Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Superpowers and Mussels



I would like everyone to know that I have super-powers.

That's right. I'm a genuine, bona fide, non-cape wearing, spandex-eschewing super hero.

Would you like to know what my super power is?

Bringing the frigid cold to any tropical climate I visit. Isn't that nice?

Honestly, the moment a warm climate learns I am coming to visit the sun goes on strike, the wind starts a-blowin' and the icy fingers of doom start creeping their way towards my locale.

How else can you explain 22 degree weather in Florida? Especially when the week before I got there it was 80 and the day I left it warmed back up to 75. I'm cursed. And yes, this has happened on a few trips to Florida.

I think my brother-in-law may actually start barring my entrance to his state if I keep this up. I'm totally harshing his surfing mellow...yo.

In any event, that explains my silence for the last ten days - a trip to Florida to see my lovely sister A., her husband, also A., and my nephew R. My sister is pregnant with her first child (R. is technically a step-nephew), and though I'll be traveling out when she delivers this summer, I was anxious to see her one last time before she was a mom. I swear she's the most gorgeous pregnant woman I've ever seen too - it's not very often I'm jealous of a pregnant woman's figure, I'll tell ya that much.



I had actually uploaded photos so I could post while I was away, but I forgot to write down the recipes for this mussel dish and totally forgot what I did. Thankfully they still needed some improvement, so it's not like I lost some epic recipe. I'll just have to post about mussels again when I make them next time. I will say this - Applewood Smoked Bacon and Mussels are great friends. They should never be separated. Not ever. It's like heaven in your mouth.

Even though they weren't exactly what I was looking for, they were still very quickly devoured with a nice sourdough baguette.



Up next I'll be posting the next segment from my mushroom foraging class with a bunch of pictures illustrating what we found on our hike. There are some real pretty ones I'm excited to show.

Now I just have to get it up before spring semester starts on Saturday and I'm once again mired in piles of homework...

3 comments:

The Duo Dishes said...

Now you see 'em, now you don't!!! Mmmm, sourdough to dip into the lovely juices at the bottom of the bowl. Gosh, mussels are goooood.

Anonymous said...

We must have been there at the same time! I swear it is very sad to go to Florida and have it be colder than leaving Houston.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

So does your power work the other way, too? Do you bring warm temperatures to cold places? If so, you're welcome at Blackrock anytime.